Friday, August 28, 2009

What You're "Allowed"

Hello friends! We finally received our personal property after being without our belongings since June. In this shipment was our motorcycles. Yes, we own 2 cars & 2 Harley Davidson motorcycles. We bought the motorcycles specifically for our tour in Italy; 2-wheeled vehicles are very popular here &  it's a great way to save money on gas. There's also a large parking convenience with this sort of transportation.

This is a picture of my '01 Harley Davidson Sportster 883...when I was "allowed" to have it & ride it as much as I saw fit.

The hubby made it a priority to register both motorcycles so we could start riding as soon as possible. At the Vehicle Registration facility we use, he was informed that we're only "allowed" to have 3 vehicles & we're not "allowed" to register both motorcycles, only one. Why? The arrangement (from over  50 years ago) that our country has with the Italian government. It's the same set of laws that govern where/how I'm allowed to work in the country. This document is ancient by modern standards & hurts the American citizens stationed in this area. And now, I have a motorcycle I'm not "allowed" to register. That means I can't drive it all; I can't risk the insurance/financing problem if something happens to that bike. We made the choice to register the hubby's bike because his is the nicer of the two motorcycles.

So thanks to an antiquated agreement, my choice to ride my motorcycle that I purchased has been taken completely out of my hands. I'm not "allowed" to have it. Now all I can do is hope that I can sell it quickly ...so I don't have to continue to pay for something I can't even drive.

Any questions? Feel free to comment.

No comments: